Day 2 of the tour, 3rd continent

It’s the end of Day 2 and I’ve now hit 3 continents in 3 days! I think that’s a new record for me. It seems the internet at the Holiday Inn I’m staying in does not wish to cooperate and I don’t have the time or energy to deal with it tonight, so I’m going to jot this down tonight and post it when I get a chance.

Last night I flew out of Frankfurt leaving around 8:40pm if I recall correctly – not quite as nice of a flight situation as when I flew in to Frankfurt. I was on a big Airbus 360 (I think) and it was packed full. No empty seat beside me this time 🙁 the remote for the TV kept trying to decide if it wanted to work, though the food was good.

Flying time was about 11 hours, service was nice, flight was uneventful. I did manage to doze off for a few hours, though I also discovered that my legs were throbbing a bit! Apparently I’m not used to walking around quite as much anymore.

I arrived in Johannesburg this morning around 8am, passport control was uneventful and didn’t take too too long to get through. I was a little nervous waiting for my bag – of course it was near the end. I was told it would meet me in Johannesburg and not require me to pick it up in Frankfurt but I started kicking myself for not triple checking in Frankfurt. Luckily it arrived safe and sound.

I grabbed the train from the Johannesburg airport to the Rosebank station. A little expensive, about $18 CAD but quite quick and pleasant. Taxi / Uber would have been much more, and not nearly as quick. Found the Holiday Inn that we’re staying in tonight just steps away from the station exit, alongside a giant mall with all sorts of western stores, so felt right at home lol.

I couldn’t check in to the hotel yet of course, so decided I wanted to get out and do something with my day. I grabbed an Uber (about $20 each way) from the Holiday Inn to the Apartheid Museum which was a good 20-30 min drive away.

Very moving, very interesting, very well done. Pictures were not allowed inside so I got some from the outside. You’re not meant to read every plaque in there but I got a little caught up in it so I read quite a few of them. The history is very interesting to read, to get an understanding of how they wound up in the situation where such segregation was deemed not only necessary but “just”, and even more interesting to see how Mandela was able to bring both sides together to really heal the nation at the end.

Very worthwhile to visit, and gives me a little more insight into the country. It’s also so surprising that it is so recent. A lot of it happened in the 90’s, so I’m either getting super old or that’s still not that long ago :p

At the museum my legs were getting pretty tired and I was beginning to nod off a bit so I did eventually wrap it up, making my way back to the hotel via Uber. I grabbed a pizza at a nice little restaurant on the outside of the mall before returning to the hotel to eventually get a room.

Got the room. Put my stuff down. Set an alarm. Passed out.


So nice to lie in a real bed again. Better soak it up, not gonna get that for a little while.

6pm was our meet up so I forced myself awake for that and made my way downstairs to one of the meeting rooms. Good mix of ages, I think there’s 16 of us + the two staff. They both seem very experienced. Some minor changes to the itinerary including where we’ll be for my birthday due to some recent extreme weather events but now a chance to see more elephants, so that’s OK.

They went through everything – I think I over packed a little, but not too bad. We’ll see how it goes. Found out that we have to LEAVE at 5am tomorrow (12 hour drive… ugh). I went out for dinner with a couple other guys on the trip from England, we went to the same place I went for lunch – I went for the pasta this time which was just as nice as the pizza. And now I’m back in the room, after reorganizing my bag a bit, ready for bed.

And because I have to get up so insanely early, that’s just what I’m going to do. So good night!